Hello my friend,
Two years, on 5. June 2016 I have posted the first article on the topic of interoperability between Nokia (Alcatel-Lucent) SR OS and Cisco IOS XR. That article shaped the main line for all my blogs, and this line is “interoperability”. But not only. In the first year we focused on Service providers IP Core and Backhaul technologies, whereas in the second year SDN, data centers and automations were in focus and also introduction of new vendors to our interops.
The first year
Year ago we have in details covered all the work done by that time creating a kind of “list of contents” with all the articles. Another major topic, which spans all the articles in the first year, was Service Provider technologies, as it’s mentioned above. Basically all the technologies and configurations to build service provider network from scratches in dual vendor environment with Cisco IOS XR and Nokia (Alcatel-Lucent) SR OS were covered.
The second year
The last year we were focusing mainly on different aspects of SDN, automation and data center technologies. Let’s recall, what we have done.
SDN for Service Providers:
- Consideration on how to take into account internal topology of adjacent service provider (or dedicated part of the neighbor in different AS) using BGP feature AIGP
- The new approach of traffic engineering suitable for automation and programmability: Segment Routing Traffic Engineering in Nokia (Alcatel-Lucent) and Cisco
- Saving IPv4 addresses for transit links: IP unnumbered Ethernet interfaces and routing in Nokia (Alcatel-Lucent) and Cisco – PART 1
- Further discussion on saving of IPv4 addresses for transit links: IP unnumbered Ethernet interfaces and MPLS in Nokia (Alcatel-Lucent) and Cisco – PART 2
- Discovering of the network topology by SDN controller using BGP-LS (link state) from Nokia (Alcatel-Lucent) and Cisco routers
- Using PCEP to signal Segment Routing Traffic Engineering tunnels from SDN controller realised by Cisco XTC
- Using NETCONG/YANG to configure/operate Nokia (Alcatel-Lucent) devices
- Using NETCONG/YANG to configure/operate Cisco devices
Multicast deployment in the networks:
Data center technologies:
- Building data center with Nokia as leafs and Cisco as spines using EVPN/VXLAN: L2 switching case
- Building data center with Nokia as leafs and Cisco as spines using EVPN/VXLAN: L3 IRB case
- Building data center with Nokia as leafs and Cisco as spines using EVPN/VXLAN: IP VPN replacement with BGP PE-CE peering with VNFs
- New vendor! Building data center with Nokia and Cumulus Linux as leafs and Cisco as spines using EVPN/VXLAN
- New vendor! Building data center with Nokia and Arista EOS as leafs and Cisco as spines using EVPN/VXLAN
Automation based on Ansible:
- Automatic deployment of our lab topology using Ansible
- How to build and tune the lab from scratches
- Using Ansible module NETCONF to manage Cisco and Nokia (Alcatel-Lucent) using YANG models
- Building VNF-M for VNF onboarding, deploying and undeploying
- Building proper Ansible automation using roles and jinja2 templates
- Automating configuration of Cumulus Linux using different Ansible modules
- Moreover, Ansible playbooks were provided in several articles from data centre section
Started with 2 vendors and enterprise/service provider field, we already covered 4 vendors and data centers. We keep going!
Stay tuned, stay with us.
If you have further questions or you need help with your networks, I’m happy to assist you, just send me message (http://karneliuk.com/contact/). Also don’t forget to share the article on your social media, if you like it.