Hello my friend,
Are you looking for building network automation at scale leveraging the future-proof model-driven network automation? Besides attending our zero-to-hero network automation training and network automation with nornir, we suggest you to take a look at nornir_pygnmi, the new plugin we have created for Nornir to simplify management of network devices with gNMI.
No part of this blogpost could be reproduced, stored in a
retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any
means, electronic, mechanical or photocopying, recording,
or otherwise, for commercial purposes without the
prior permission of the author.
Is GNMI a Good Interface for Network Automation?
Yes, it is. GNMI is one of the most recent interfaces created for the management plane, which allows you to manage the network devices (i.e., retrieve configuration and operational data, modify configuration) and collect the streaming or event-driven telemetry. Sounds like one-size-fits-all, isn’t it? On top of that, GNMI supports also different transport channels (i.e., encrypted and non-encrypted), which makes it suitable both for lab testing and for production environment. You may feel that we are biased to gNMI, and you are right. Actually, that is a reason why we created pyGNMI library, Open Source library for network automation with Python and GNMI.
We offer the following training programs for you:
- Zero-to-Hero Network Automation Training
- High-scale automation with Nornir
- Ansible Automation Orchestration with Ansble Tower / AWX
- Expert-level training: Closed-loop Automation and Next-generation Monitoring
During these trainings you will learn the following topics:
- Success and failure strategies to build the automation tools.
- Principles of software developments and the most useful and convenient tools.
- Data encoding (free-text, XML, JSON, YAML, Protobuf).
- Model-driven network automation with YANG, NETCONF, RESTCONF, GNMI.
- Full configuration templating with Jinja2 based on the source of truth (NetBox).
- Best programming languages (Python, Bash) for developing automation
- The most rock-solid and functional tools for configuration management (Ansible) and Python-based automation frameworks (Nornir).
- Network automation infrastructure (Linux, Linux networking, KVM, Docker).
- Orchestration of automation workflows with AWX and its integration with NetBox, GitHub, as well as custom execution environments for better scalability.
- Collection network data via SNMP and streaming telemetry with Prometheus
- Building API gateways with Python leveraging Fast API
- Integration of alerting with Slack and your own APIs
- … and many more
Anton has a very good and structured approach to bootstrap you in the network automation field.Angel Bardarov @ Telelink Business Services
Moreover, we put all mentions technologies in the context of the real use cases, which our team has solved and are solving in various projects in the service providers, enterprise and data centre networks and systems across the Europe and USA. That gives you opportunity to ask questions to understand the solutions in-depts and have discussions about your own projects. And on top of that, each technology is provided with online demos and you are doing the lab afterwards to master your skills. Such a mixture creates a unique learning environment, which all students value so much. Join us and unleash your potential.
The nornir_pygnmi relies on pygnmi and, therefore, it has (almost) all the functionality available as the parent’s library, such as:
Subscribe() is for not implemented, as we are assessing the right way to implement this functionality. That will be implemented in the upcoming releases.
We have tried to create a detailed documentation covering the usage of nornir_pygnmi in the GitHub.
Please refer to the slide deck for more details:
If You Prefer Video
Check the demo in our GitHub channel:
GitHub and PyPI Repositories
Get the the latest version of nornir_pygnmi.
We continue to develop the pygnmi library itself and its ecosystem to give you, and the whole network automation community worldwide to benefit from GNMI/YANG power in a simple way relying Python with open source pygnmi and nornir_pygnmi libraries. Take care and good bye.
If you have further questions or you need help with your networks, we are happy to assist you, just send us a message. Also don’t forget to share the article on your social media, if you like it.